Botox in Brighton
Botox in Brighton
Doctor DeGiovanni is a Consultant Dermatologist who offers Botox in Brighton®
Botulinum toxin (Botox®) injections are an effective anti-wrinkle treatment. Doctor DeGiovanni exclusively uses the original Allergan Botulinum toxin (Botox®) product as she believes that this product provides excellent results. Botox® relaxes the muscles that cause fine lines and wrinkles. It is a temporary treatment lasting between 3 and 6 months depending on the muscular activity and the site treated. By targeting common wrinkle areas such as forehead and frown lines, crow’s feet and chin dimpling, Botox® can help smoothen and refresh a tired appearance.
Doctor DeGiovanni’s cosmetic clinic is based at the Oasis Care Dental Practice based in the vibrant Fiveways area of Brighton. She offers a free, no obligation, 15 minute consultation in Brighton to discuss Botox® treatment with you. This is important to check that this is the right treatment for you and to be sure you are fully informed before you commit to any treatment.
Although Botox in Brighton is mainly used to reduce appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the face, it is currently being used to treat over 20 medical conditions. Doctor DeGiovanni uses Botox® for its cosmetic effects on areas such as the forehead, crow’s feet around the eyes, glabellar lines (frown lines between eyebrows), bunny lines (wrinkles on the nose) and dimpling of the chin. She also treats excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) of the armpit region.
What is Botox®?
BOTOX® is the brand name of a neurotoxin, called botulinum toxin that is derived from an organism found in nature called Clostridium botulinum. When diluted and prepared into the Botox® formulation this product is perfectly safe for injections. More than 6 million Botox® treatments are performed every year, making it the most popular cosmetic treatment today.
When injected in extremely small concentrations, botulinum toxin works by inhibiting nerve signals that reach your muscle cells. This leaves the muscles with no instructions to contract.
Nerve cells release a chemical messenger called acetylcholine, allowing muscles to contract. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that attaches to receptors on muscle cells and stimulates muscle to shorten or contract. Botox® prevents the release of acetylcholine and stops muscle cell contraction in the targeted area.
Botox® reduces muscle activity leading to smoothing of fine lines and wrinkles. Deep permanent lines may not completely resolve.
How is Botox® performed?
Botox® is administered by diluting botulinum toxin powder in saline and injecting it carefully into neuromuscular tissue. Your face has a complex anatomy with over 40 muscles, therefore be sure that your physician has experience with Botox® and is familiar with the function and physiology of all the muscles in it.
It takes 2-7 days for Botox® to take effect. The amount of time taken reflects the time required by botulinum toxin to inhibit the nerve cell communications process in the targeted area.
Be sure that your physician is informed about your medical history. Botox® should not be performed if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have a history of neurological disease
- You have had a previous allergic reaction the drug or if you’re allergic to any of its ingredients
Risks associated with Botox®
Botulinum toxin injections are often well tolerated, with very few side effects. It is important that you discuss the risks, benefits and alternative treatments with your doctor prior to the treatment. Some common risks associated with Botox® include:
- Minor swelling and bruising at the injection site
- Mild headache
- Occasionally, patients may develop ptosis – temporary drooping of the eyelid
After treatment it is important that you avoid making excessive facial expressions and avoid rubbing the treated area for 24 hours to avoid displacing the product. Vigorous exercise, alcohol and make up should be avoided for 48 hours and high sun exposure, saunas, or freezing temperatures should be avoided for 2 weeks.
Botox in Brighton: Safety Guidelines
Botox® is becoming increasingly popular and with the rise in the number of commercial clinics offering Botox in Brighton, we highly recommend following the given guidelines on how to choose a reputable and properly qualified physician for your Botox in Brighton treatment.
- Make your own decision. It is imperative that you remember and understand that you are the only person to decide whether you want to go ahead with Botox®. In addition, you need to consult a specialist and understand what works best for your body and be informed about any associated risks and benefits of the treatment.
- Do your research. If you’re considering a cosmetic procedure, be sure you are informed enough to full understand what the risks and limitations associated with the treatment are. It is important that you understand that no procedure is 100 percent risk-free and no doctor can give you a 100 percent guarantee on the results. It helps to come prepared with questions before heading to the doctor’s office to make the most from your consultation.
- Check the doctor’s credentials. Your doctor should be trained and qualified in performing cosmetic treatments, such as Botox in Brighton. Dr. DeGiovanni offers expert Botox® treatments in Brighton. She has been a consultant dermatologist since 2008 and has been using Botox® injections for several years.
- Inform your doctor about your medical history. Consult your doctor for a medical evaluation and have a complete medical history done before treatment. As we mentioned earlier, having a neurological disorder and any previous allergy to the drug means you cannot administer Botox® and will have to seek advice from your doctor regarding alternative treatment.
- Choose the appropriate setting for your Botox® treatment. Botox® injections should be performed in the presence of trained medical personnel. All injections should be administered using sterile techniques with proper disposal of syringes and needles.
- Make it positive. Choosing cosmetic treatment is generally about making clients feel better about themselves. At Doctor DeGiovanni’s clinic, giving clients more confidence in the hands of a good doctor for a stress-free, safe and positive experience is a high priority. Our clinic is all about empowering our clients and ensuring that they have the right knowledge to make the best decisions.
- Make sure you are comfortable. You should feel comfortable with the doctor and clinic you have chosen and be fully satisfied with the information being provided to you.
What to do after your Botox in Brighton treatment
- Stay in an upright position and do not touch the injected site for 4 hours following treatment
- Do not perform vigorous exercise for 48 hours
- Avoid extreme facial expressions, makeup and alcohol consumption for 48 hours post-treatment
- Avoid UV light, prolonged sun exposure, saunas and freezing temperatures for 2 weeks post-treatment
- If you’re having a mild headache after treatment, painkillers such as paracetamol can help and will not affect your Botox® treatment
A complimentary follow up with Doctor DeGiovanni is offered 2 weeks after treatment to assess your response to treatment. We offer Botox in Brighton for a myriad of conditions and skin concerns, including wrinkles and lines, hyperhidrosis.
Visit our contact page for more information and advice or to make an appointment with Dr. DeGiovanni.